Monday, August 4, 2008

An Ode to Us...by Sonji!


Our sister, Suzanne, honored us with a poem, her original composition, at the wedding ceremony. It's one of those things that makes you laugh and cry at the same time, and a moment we will never forget. Thanks Sonji! Photo credit: Maureen!


An Ode to Sarah and Ro

We gather today to celebrate a love poetic and true
So writing a few verses is the least I could do.
Since young love prevails but my own rhymes can stray,
Forgive me if I crib from Will Shakespeare’s most famous play.

Two households both alike in dignity and respect
But the Mannings were badda’ed, the Shapiros verklempt.
Two rambunctious babies born to these clans:
The Hope of Sarah and the Deluxe model Rohan.

But I’m really just kidding because these children were sweet
Inquisitive, intelligent, and swiftly sure on their feet.
Remember the days before they could even say “newlywedded?”;
Ro knobby-kneed and Sarah only briefly redheaded. [Thank heavens!]

Rohan O.D.’ed on bananas in Caribbean bliss,
While Sarah practiced amateur dentistry on her poor little sis.
The youths became their families’ prides, speaking few insolent words
A Valedictorian and salutatorian, and face it, just nerds.

At fair Boston College where we lay our next scene
The jocks were all pious, the Catholic schoolgirls obscene.
Standing away from the crowd was a Jamaican adonis
And not too far away, a pretty WASP-Semite Pocahontas.

I’m not entirely sure when the romance began
But Ro was soon there to be Sarah’s new steady man.
They stuck together through sad times and state lines
Law and biz school hell couldn’t dampen these valentines.

The years passed, and each winter melted to spring.
But wherefore art thou, Rohan? Sarah wants her ring.
He asked ‘round Thanksgiving with Sarah not shying,
Reconciling his Taurus bull with her Leo lion.

It was about time for their separate lives to be over
So they bought a pretty house on a pretty street called Clover.
But soft! What light through yonder window breaks?
It’s neighbor Debby, A.K.A. Mommy, past midnight still awake.

Their home life together is certifiably funny,
Sarah squealing over her kittens, or “Mommy’s little bunnies.”
He’s always in the shower, a chamber of lather and heat.
That which we call a Ro by any other name would smell as sweet.

They say parting is sweet sorrow but it’s rare for these two.
Even wrapped in a cast, their holding-hands are hard to unglue.
The only letting go that Sarah and Ro ever know
Is when they say, “Let’s go Mets!” or “Yankees, Let’s go!”

Now here comes their wedding day, that final frontier.
But little really changes; Ro, you’ve been my brother for years.
It seems nere was heard a love story more right-on
Than this of my sister Sedrah and her Rohan.

I love you guys with all of my heart
And wish you Mazel Tov as you make your new start.
As for our guests, I hope I’ve managed to entertain.
Now, please on with the show, I’m ready for my Champagne!

No comments: