Sunday, January 25, 2009

Brooklyn Fever!

This weekend, Rohan and I (and Maya) traveled to NYC, as we do on a somewhat regular basis to visit our family and friends. But this time, we separated once we got there, so Ro could play dominoes with the boys, and so Maya and I could have some quality time with Sonji. Little did we know that we were in for quite the experience!

After a day of shopping and good Jewish food (and cheesecake) at Junior's, we dressed up for a night out on the town and headed for Brooklyn's largest "underground" party. (FYI, "underground" = somewhat illegal). We got to this big warehouse, where we were ushered through a door that was closed behind us quickly. And then we saw the masses! After climbing a packed staircase, we paid, and then we entered the gauntlet...a sea of people partying the night away. Although I have never been claustrophobic, I have to admit, upon first entering the frenzy, I had a sort of panic attack. As I looked around the mass of people with nowhere to move, many of whom were smoking various subtances very close to the unknown shredded decor hanging from the ceiling, with no visable means of exit, well...I thought I would die in a club fire. But I managed to move toward the side, and eventually felt cool air permeate the smoldering air...and I knew I was somewhat safe. So I relaxed, and we ended up dancing the night away, until 4 a.m.!

We managed a few photos from the night:

Sonji and Maya enjoy the scenery.

Sam and Sonji enjoy each other regardless of the filthy surroundings!


Here is my "I'm too old for this" look, with Sam (older than me), looking on.

It was an experience I will always remember, but likely never repeat.

No comments: