Sunday, March 29, 2009

Passover Practice!

Another sure sign of Spring is the coming of my favorite Jewish Holiday, Passover, the celebration of the Exodus from Egypt.

Ro and I have been meaning to have a dinner party, primarily for the company, and also to have the opportunity to use all our great new dining stuff that we got for the wedding. So with just a couple weeks to go until Passover, I thought what better dinner party to have than a Seder with our Goy (non-Jewish) friends. Really, everyone just wants my matzah ball soup, so I obliged.



Here I am with the table set. When Ro got home from work and saw how beautiful it was, he said, "Oh, I guess I finally understand why you got all of this stuff!"

Here is the Seder plate (given to me by Barbara Weiss) with all of the symbolic food: the shank bone (representing the sacrificial lamb), the haroseth (a mixture of apples, walnuts and wine that represents the mortar the slaves used to build the pyramids), the salt water (representing the tears of the Jewish people), the parsley (which is dipped into the salt water and eaten), the egg (representing destruction and new life), and the horseraddish (the bitter herbs, representing the bitter times the Jewish people endured). We also had matzah (the unleavened bread), latkes (potato pancakes), matzah ball soup (my specialty), beef brisket, and kugel (a fruited bread pudding-like Jewish favorite made with matzah instead of flour).


Rohan, Lee, Maureen, Kori, Eamonn and myself all had a grand time....especially with all the wine we drank!

No comments: