Thursday, May 7, 2009

Even on vacation...there's baseball!

On Friday in D.C., we, along with our friends Eamonn and Kori, spent the afternoon in the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, which is a place that I've always wanted - and needed to visit. It was an immensely moving experience, and I can honestly say that it will, in some way, impact the rest of my life.

That said, by Friday night, we needed to get out and do something fun...and since the weather broke into a glorious evening, we decided to hit the ballpark!

Here are Rohan and I outside the gate to Nationals Park, the home of the Washington Nationals! That evening they took on the St. Louis Cardinals.


Rohan, myself, Kori and Eamonn, through the eyes of a kind Nationals Park employee.


We check out the facilities. This Park is also brand new, just one year young!

Rohan poses with the field in the background.



The immense hi-def scoreboard.


The ladies. (Our husbands are really really lucky that we both love baseball so much!)


Getting some brews.



The stadium featured a lot of immenities for the kids, including a pitching and hitting park where you could measure the speed of your pitches. Did you know that I threw the fastest pitch on record???



The guys were jealous, so they started throwing to try to beat my speed, and strike out a virtual A-Rod. Too bad this virtual A-Rod was still on steroids, and so they weren't able to do it (although a 14-year old kid did!). But Ro was fast, as evidenced by these photos!



Look at that form! He's a pro!




Eamonn gives it a go, but also fails to strike out A-Rod.



Here we are just above our seats.



All of a sudden, a bird handler came around with an owl! Yes, he was alive, and I have to say, really really cute. I wanted to hold him!



Eamonn gets more brews. The staff was incredibly nice....southern hospitality at its best!



A view of the field from our seats. We managed to see a homerun by the hometeam, which was celebrated with fireworks...but they ended up loosing to the bat of Pujols.



It was a great time, although by the end of the day our feet were tired (as viewed here standing on the Metro platform). It was so fun, I think we'll have to make a habit out of visiting the different ballparks throughout the country!

More on D.C. to come...

No comments: