Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sites from our Nation's Capital

On Wednesday, April 29th, Rohan, Mumphy and myself skipped work, got in the car and headed down south to our nation's capital, Washington D.C.

Our friends Mike and Rachel were getting married in Rachel's hometown of Arlington, Virginia on Saturday, so we figured why not make a little vacation out of it??? Rohan and I hadn't been to D.C. since we were teens, so we were due.


After we checked in at our hotel, we headed out for a nighttime bus tour. Our first stop was at the White House, the residence of the Obama family. We were really much closer than shown in these photos, but were quickly detoured by the Secret Service. Why? It turns out that Barack is a real guy, and he likes to walk his new pup Bo-Bama around 7:30 every night. We just happened to be there as he was heading out to the South lawn, and so we had to be a certain safe distance away. So Barack and Bo are little specks somewhere in these photos!

Ro and I and Barack (somewhere back there).

A view of our trolley and the Washington Monument.


Rohan and I pose at the new World War II monument, which was beautiful.


Rohan and I on the steps on the Lincoln Memorial, with the Washington Monument in the background.


Mom and her American hero.



The next morning (another rainy day), we headed out to the museums. Rohan leads us to the Metro, where he felt right at home riding the subway!


Inside the Smithsonian American History Museum, we saw the top hat Lincoln was wearing that fateful night in Ford's Theatre.


I pose in front of a huge mural from Obama's inauguration.




Inside the Smithsonian Natural History Museum, we first saw a 3-D Imax movie about the coral reefs (which was breathtaking), and then headed into the live butterfly exhibit, where we met this little guy.


Rohan was not sure if he liked being around bugs (and squeeled like a little girl on several occasions, until he couldn't take it any more and had to leave. Good grief!)



Here I am underneath the iconic Tyrannosaurus Rex.


When we headed back outside after a day in the musuems, the sun was finally coming out, and I got this hazy shot of the Capitol Building.

More on our trip to D.C. to come...

No comments: